it’s never as easy as it seems


Latest posts by FarmerKhaiti (see all)

Today I totalled the Subaru- driving round a sharp bend I lost control on the gravel edge, and off we went. So lucky to have not rolled in the very steep ditch, but I hit a culvert in the ditch and FLEW over it, right onto the rock embankment, and kept going. Serious momentum in a vehicle. The underside of the car looked like i had landed on a pile of rocks and kept driving. Which is what happened. So lucky to have not been injured, but yikes $$ for losing my car (probably.)

Yesterday we were on hoophouse setup day 2, for assembling the arches and erecting them. This is serious work. they are 30 feet across, made of heavy steel pipe, and the height at center is 12 feet. Well, on arch number two for the day, I lost control of holding my side of the massive beast, and it fell. No biggie usually, but the end pipe came down and hit me in the chest, scraping a nice big “battle wound” down my chest. OUCH. I haven’t gotten the wind knocked out of me in a long, long time. It hurts seriously. We gave up for the day, since I was the walking wounded. Andrew made a beautiful retaining wall around the front sides of where the finished hoophouse will look out, I putzed as best I could, doing little projects around the place. A day off my day job is invaluable, and I had blown it all, with one careless move. ARGH! But these arches are not a force for most to deal with, and especially not me, the weak-ish one, along with Andrew’s burly strength. If there had been two burly men, this probably wouldn’t have happened. So- we’re working on getting some strong folks together to get this hoophouse set up before winter. It is where the ducks will hang through the coldest months of the year, so, very important! We’ll figure this out. Brushes with death……….

The pigs are enjoying the last days of their time here on earth. We moved them yesterday, to fresh raspberry brambles and grass. They have been gorging on milk soaked barley and all kinds of other goodies. Such dear, good pigs. And every pig, I can imagine, if given love and respect, will be a good pig. Next Tuesday is our pig harvest day, and we (Andrew, me, and the customers who have bought a half) are all a bit nervous about how it will go. We will all take part in the harvest experience, a big deal for all of us as newbies to this. We’ve decided to have Northwoods Locker take the halves to their locker to chill for 3-5 days, as the owner said he does with his pigs, before the breaking down day (aka butchering) of the halves into roasts, chops, hams, belly, trimmings to make saussage, fat to be rendered into lard, etc. All the offal and other parts will be used as well. A full circle experience from start to finish.

Andrew and I constantly refer to the day back in March when we brought the 2 pigs home to Osceola in a dog kennel, in the back of the subaru. It’s a measure of our 2010 season, and it was the beginning of farming together. It was “pig day”, and we have absolutely loved every day with them since. On that note- we’re planning to raise 3 piglets this winter, for April harvest. One is available for purchase.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>